Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Book Is Done

Haven't written for a helluva long time as I was finishing my edit on the novel I have been writing for six years! Anyway, it is done and I finally like what's there. Right now a few publishers are looking at it and I am still looking for more. I am not fooling myself re: how hard it is to get a first novel published, especially when the author is not a kid anymore, but I have faith in this one and will push it as long and as hard as I can.

Been listening to a lot of new music...well, new to me....and I have discovered a contemporary composer called John Tavener who knocks me out. Been playing his stuff almost non-stop on my Ipod.

Been to a lot of theater, the best of which was SOUTH PACIFIC at Lincoln Center. Of course it couldn't touch our production at EMHS (ahem!) but it was fantastic.

Reading some good mysteries as well as a page turner by Jeffrey Archer called A PRISONER OF BIRTH. Probably his best book since his KANE AND ABEL which blew me away when I read it many years ago. Best book in the last few years? THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER AND CLAY. Magnificent. Also liked ATONEMENT (not the movie!!) and BIRDSONG a harrowing book about being in the trenches in WW1.

Anyway, I have no idea if anyone is reading this but if you are and you know me, drop a line to say hello. Jeff

3 comments:

Danielle M. said...

Is this the Mr. Laffel that taught AP English at Elmont Memorial High School? I was a student back in 1993... I wrote an "astrological interpretation of Gone With the Wind" for your class. I have so many wonderful memories of AP English.

Today, I was annotating a poem with my 8th grade English class, and used my dapper and charismatic AP teacher in my poetry think along...

I really hope it is you, and I finally have the opportunity to tell you what a tremendous influence you were on me all of those years ago.

-Danielle Cianciulli (now Mammolito) EMHS CLASS OF 1993

Danielle M. said...

sorry- I forgot to leave contact info...

dmammolito@gmail.com.

I'd love to hear about your book.

Andy B said...

Why I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I agree! Kavalier and Clay my personal favorite over the last number of years.